Sunday, April 25, 2010

what’s what

I’ve been busy. I know I just started this bloggy blog and that if I want to attract readers and keep them, I have to write consistently. That being said, sometimes life gets in the way of even the best of intentions. And then sometimes you (general you) start your period a little over a week early and hormones get the best of you and then you just really don’t want to do anything, least of all blog about your life, but I’m only speaking hypothetically here. As per usual.

So my son turned 10. Weird to think that ten years ago yesterday, Turkey Lips entered the world in a rush of blood, not breathing, and very purple and all I could think about was how high up in the building I was. I think I’d lost a little too much blood, honestly, because I only held him for a few minutes before they took him from me and put him under the warming lights; he was much, much too cold, they said, and I remember nodding like I knew what that meant and wondering if the baby had been born yet.

Yeah, it was a little confusing for me.

I was thrilled to have him, though, and I fell in absolute and complete love with his little self a few hours later when both he and I had recovered enough to be properly introduced. That first nite, I held him against me for hours, listening to him breathe. He used to make this little mewling, snoring sound when he slept. And he loooooooved to be cuddled, loved it more than anything. He was so snuggly, unlike my first two babies, his older sisters, who enjoyed being snuggled but didn’t loooooooooove it the way he did. He loved it so much that the first four months I wasn’t allowed to put him down without him really telling me, loudly, all about it. After four months, he was a little more patient with me when I had to do things like pee, or use both hands to make something for his sisters to eat, or even, rarely, shower. But I only got a few minutes before he begin to protest not being cuddled, again, loudly.

He all too quickly turned into a toddler, and he was about one of the sweetest little guys ever. That didn’t mean that he didn’t think it was most awesome to get into everything (and I mean, EVERYTHING) as soon as he became upright. And it only got worse when he figured out how to operate high-tech things like the toilet handle, and doorknobs, and pushing things over to stand on them so as to better climb over the baby gates. Yeah, that was some good times, that was!

However, he was so unbelievable adorable, with those big blue eyes and those round chubby baby boy cheeks that were invented, I swear, to melt my heart and save him from impending doom from his destructive days of toddler-hood. He had the sweetest little smile, with those baby teeth, like little pearls… oh! Straight to the heart, I tell ya!

As he got older, he discovered cars, and soon became consumed with all things Hot Wheels. For a few years, if it had wheels, he wanted it. And because he had those big blue eyes and those cheeks and that smile… yeah, sucker that I am for such things, he usually got it.

As he grew, he still loved being cuddled and smooched and was happy just to be in my vicinity, playing with his sisters or with his cars. He loved, and still does, to help me with chores. He is inquisitive and full of questions and theories and wants to know all about pretty much everything. He still likes to hang out with me, but doesn’t want to be smooched as much anymore, but still likes the cuddling. He compliments my cooking and says thank you for doing housework and appreciates the simple things that come his way. He likes school and his friends and is a fantastic brother to his sisters; one day, he’s going to make a fantastic partner for some very lucky woman.

I love this kid with everything I’ve got, and then some, and the past ten years have been both a blur and a joy, and, sadly, passed by all too soon. He is My Guy, and I count everyday that I get to share with him as a part of it a good one :)

 Paul's 10th Bday 24 April 2010 002

Paul's 10th Bday 24 April 2010 007

Paul's 10th Bday 24 April 2010 013 

Paul's 10th Bday 24 April 2010 018

3 comments:

  1. Awww what a sweet blog, and what an amazing boy you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww! Jenna, I just love this. And I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet. He has your smile, I think.

    ReplyDelete